(click on images for larger view)
Bridge No. 1415
• Route 169 over Shetucket River
• Steel Pratt deck truss
• Length: 2 spans, 269' overall, 126' maximum span length
• Built in 1938
• Connecticut Highway Department, engineers
Bridge No. 1415 was begun immediately after the Hurricane of September 1938 destroyed the previous bridge at the site. That storm, one of the deadliest in the state's history, ruined fifty bridges. With the help of the federal government, the State Highway Department replaced them all in a little more than a year. This bridge cost over $111,000 and was one of eleven that were partly funded by the federal Public Works Administration.
The bridge is typical of the State Highway Department's trusses of the 1930s. The size of the structural members, the large rivet plates, and the concrete slab deck show that it was designed to meet the ever-increasing needs of motor vehicle traffic. The original railing, consisting of tubular rails, twisted metal bars, and concrete piers, hinted at an Art-Deco influence. This type of railing was one of the State's standard designs in that period. Recent renovations, however, replaced with railing with a more robust crash barrier.