(click on images for larger view)
Bridge No. 4453
• Bull's Bridge Road over Housatonic River
• Covered timber truss
• Length: 110'
• Built in 1842
Bull's Bridge takes its name from Isaac and Jacob Bull, who started an ironworks here in 1760 and also built the first of at least five wooden bridges that have crossed this rocky, wooded gorge. The present span is believed to date from 1842. An example of the lattice truss patented by Ithiel Town in 1820, the bridge carries what was once a major highway from Hartford to Newburgh, New York, on the Hudson River.
The bridge has undergone many changes since its construction. The queen-post trusses that surround the Town lattices are probably not original to the bridge. Bull's Bridge was raised higher above the river as part of the development of a nearby hydroelectric station in 1901-1903. The State Highway Department replaced much of the lower chords and all of the treenails in 1949. Finally, in 1969 large plate girders were installed beneath the bridge to carry the weight of the traffic, with the exterior sheathing extended to conceal them from view. Despite these alterations, the character of the original bridge is still plainly evident, a reminder of the age when Americans relied on wood as their chief building material. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.