Turn of River, so named because the Rippowam River changes course here and heads southward, was a small outlying industrial village that had grown up around a wire mill and a shoe factory. A reliable river crossing was important to Turn of River manufacturers. By the 1890s, the wooden bridge at this site had become deteriorated, so the Town's selectmen obtained estimates for replacing it, either with another timber span or with an iron bridge. On October 3, 1892, the Stamford Town Meeting authorized an iron bridge. By that time, Stamford had already purchased Berlin bridges for several important crossings in the more built-up part of town, so it was understandable that the Town would once again turn to a manufacturer that had given them a satisfactory product.
The Town completed the stone abutments before the cold weather set in, so when the representatives of the Berlin Iron Bridge Company arrived to supervise the erection of the ironwork in the middle of January, 1893, it was only a week or ten days before the bridge was ready for use.
The present concrete roadway was poured over an earlier wood-plank deck, and the finials that once stood atop the end posts are no longer in place. Otherwise, the bridge retains its original appearance. When the Merritt Parkway was put through in the 1930s, local roads were realigned and Turn of River Bridge was no longer needed.