Red Bridge

Meriden, Connecticut

East side of bridge Oregon Road over Quinnipiac River (bypassed) Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Red Bridge is in especially original condition and is representative of the as-built appearance of Berlin Iron Bridge's smaller trusses. Such details as the tapered floor beams have been replaced on many of those that are still open to traffic (Red Bridge is now closed, its function taken over by a modern bridge just to the east).

Red Bridge, so-called because one of its wooden predecessors was painted that color, was obtained by the Town of Meriden in 1891 as part of a multiple-bridge purchase from the Berlin Iron Bridge Company. At that time, what is now known as Oregon Road was the principal route between the built-up area of Meriden and the neighboring town of Cheshire.


Use MapQuest™ to get a map of the area, driving directions, and an aerial photograph
(the bridge's location will be indicated by a blue push pin).

Back to Main Page ArrowReturn to Main Page