At one time there were probably dozens of small Berlin lenticular bridges on the grounds of Connecticut factories and mills, but as of this date (August 2001), only two survive, and only this one remains in its original context surrounded by manufacturing buildings, former worker housing, mill pond, and dam. Although it is closed to the public, overgrown by vegetation, and deteriorating (especially its wood-plank deck), this four-panel truss remains significant as a typical example of the Berlin Iron Bridge Company's small spans.
The bridge is located directly over the spillway of the dam that forms Hallville Pond. With most of the employee housing on what is now Route 2A, a bridge in this location allowed workers to get to work easily.
The mill village of Hallville had its start in 1752, when a fulling mill was built on the stream to finish the homespun woolen cloth woven by area families; in the early 1800s the mill was fitted out with carding machines. In 1857 Joseph Hall, Sr., an English-born weaver, bought the property and began construction of an industrial-scale mill to produce woolen cloth. Under the ownership of sons Benjamin and Joseph, Jr., the mill was continually expanded over the years. In 1888 it employed 175 workers and produced 860,000 yards of cloth. Manufacturing continued at this site until the early 1960s.